In the demanding environmental arena, the experienced attorneys at Coughlin Duffy counsel clients on the full impact of environmental law in real estate, development, corporate, and business transactions.
We work with the clients to assess and address potential liabilities under federal and state environmental laws and compliance issues, while providing solutions that allow development and transactions to proceed. We are also regularly involved in all phases of administrative actions and litigation, including but not limited to prosecuting and defending claims filed under CERCLA, the federal Superfund law, New Jersey's Spill Act, and natural resource damages ("NRD") claims, as well as defending clients with respect to penalty assessments. We represent publicly and privately held companies, ranging in size from small to large, multinational Fortune 100 corporations, in state and federal courts, at both the trial and appellate levels.
Areas of focus include:
- Brownfields Redevelopment/Site Remediation
- Business Transactions
- Natural Resource Damages
- Commercial Transactions
- Compliance and Defense
- Solid and Hazardous Waste
- Air, Water, and Noise Pollution
- Land Use
- Toxic Torts
- Permitting and Counseling
- Due Diligence
- Risk Management
- Cost Recovery and Contribution
- Wetlands and Threatened & Endangered Species
- Environmental Litigation
- Penalty and Enforcement Matters
- Highlands Legislation
- September 18, 2019 Heidi Minuskin to Speak at Appraisal Institute on September 19, 2019
Heidi Minuskin will be speaking on a panel entitled, "Environmental Pitfalls Associated with Purchasing or Leasing Commercial Real Estate" at...
- August 15, 2019 6 Coughlin Duffy Partners Recognized in 2020 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
Coughlin Duffy LLP is pleased to announce that 6 of the firm's partners have been selected by their peers for inclusion in...
- May 3, 2019 Coughlin Duffy Named as an Environmental Leader by CIANJ and COMMERCE Magazine
Coughlin Duffy LLP is honored to be selected as a finalist in the first annual Commerce and Industry Association of New...
- April 25, 2019 Chambers USA 2019 Recognizes Two Coughlin Duffy Attorneys and One Practice Group
Coughlin Duffy is proud to share that Kevin Coughlin and Heidi Minuskin, along with the Firm's Insurance practice, have been recognized in Chambers USA 2019’s legal...
- March 12, 2019 Coughlin Duffy Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Super Lawyers 2019 List
Coughlin Duffy LLP is pleased to share that eight of the Firm's attorneys have been selected to the 2019 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars list...
- January 31, 2019 Karen Moriarty and Heidi Minuskin to Present at New Jersey State Bar Association Insurance Law Section
Karen Moriarty and Heidi Minuskin will present on a panel entitled, "Lower Passaic River and Berry’s Creek Clean Up and Litigation"...
- August 9, 2018 NJDEP Ramps Up Claims for Natural Resource Damages
The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (“NJDEP”) appears to be taking a new aggressive approach against businesses and corporations...
- May 23, 2018 Coughlin Duffy LLP Receives Recognition in Chambers USA 2018
Two Coughlin Duffy partners and one practice group have been recognized in Chambers USA 2018’s legal directory published by Chambers...
- April 1, 2018 Partner Heidi Minuskin Featured in CIANJ Commerce Magazine
Coughlin Duffy Partner Heidi Minuskin was featured in CIANJ's Commerce Magazine's Annual Environmental Business Roundtable, April 2018 edition. Heidi commented on New Jersey's growing...
- March 2, 2018
On March 2, 2018, James Wyse will present a workshop session entitled “Tools to Firm Up Landowner Commitments” at the...
- January 30, 2018
James Wyse will speak on January 30, 2018 at a roundtable discussion sponsored by the Land Protection Cooperative Group, an...
- December 7, 2017
James Wyse will speak on December 7, 2017 at a roundtable discussion sponsored by the Land Protection Cooperative Group, an...
- November 6, 2017 NJDEP Proposes New Rules for Underground Storage Tanks
New amendments raise the question if the storage of materials in Underground Storage Tanks just got more costly in New...
- March 17, 2017 Hackensack River Expected to be Named Superfund Site
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (USEPA) investigation into the lower Hackensack River is continuing. Indeed, the USEPA is likely to...
- October 14, 2015 Mr. Robert Muilenburg spoke at the 2015 CLM Atlanta Conference-Environmental
Robert Muilenberg, Founding Partner with Coughlin Duffy LLP presented, “Allocation and Coordination Between Various Coverages: Pollution, Commercial General Liability, and...
- September 23, 2015 Can a State Environmental Law Resurrect a CERCLA Contribution Claim?
State statutes designed to compel private parties to spend their money to cleanup contaminated sites typically mirror the federal Comprehensive...
- March 12, 2015 No End in Sight for Parties Subject to Contribution Claims
The New Jersey Supreme Court has unanimously held that private claims for contribution made pursuant to the New Jersey Spill...
- Up in Smoke
A case that started out as a complex, multi-suit, consolidated action was slowly whittled down to a single personal injury claim that was ultimately dismissed by the Court. A total victory was achieved for our client.