Timothy I. Duffy
Partnertduffy@coughlinduffy.com 350 Mount Kemble Avenue
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Direct (973) 631-6002
Fax 973) 267-6442
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Timothy Duffy is a Founding Partner of Coughlin Duffy and a member of the Commercial Services group.
Timothy has extensive trial and appellate experience in complex, multi-party litigation in state and federal courts in New Jersey and in states across the country, with many cases involving class actions and mass tort litigation in a variety of areas. His practice concentrates on numerous types of claims including products liability, multi-party toxic tort litigation, pharmaceutical litigation, land use disputes, environmental and regulatory litigation, labor and employment litigation, and contract disputes.
In addition to his significant litigation practice, Timothy also acts as corporate counsel to a number of small and mid-size businesses, which involves such areas as corporate structuring and restructuring, negotiations concerning sale and purchase agreements, consultation on environmental and regulatory matters, municipal land use matters, as well as employment and human resource issues.
Timothy prepares and negotiates numerous supply and vendor contracts, software agreements, employment agreements, and deals with issues involving intellectual properties. He represents businesses of all sizes ranging from Fortune 100 companies to small businesses, as well as PBA 265. Prior to founding Coughlin Duffy, Mr. Duffy was a senior partner at the firm of McElroy, Deutsch & Mulvaney, LLP.
- Boston College Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1980)
- Seton Hall University (M.A., summa cum laude, 1977)
- Seton Hall University (B.S., magna cum laude, 1976)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (2009)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (2001)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York (2019)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York (1987)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (1987)
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (1981)
- State of New Jersey (1981)
Awards and Honors
Super Lawyers (2007 - 2019)
New Jersey Super Lawyers, Civil Litigation Defense (2007-2018)
Platinum Minds Honoree (2016)
Assumption College for Sisters Spirit of the Heart Award (2015)
Member, District X Ethics Committee for Morris and Sussex Counties (1990-1994)
Member, American Bar Association
Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
Member, Morris County Bar Association
Member, Litigation Counsel of America, LLC
Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
Member, Irish Legal 100
Tri-County Scholarship Fund, Parsippany, NJ
Board of Trustees, 2003-Present
Chairman of the Board, 2010-2018
Dinner Committee Chair, 2007-2009
Executive Committee 2010-Present
St. Edmund’s Retreat, Mystic, CT
Board of Directors, 2004-Present
Chairman of the Board, 2008-2018
Executive Committee, 2008-Present
Immaculata High School, Somerville, NJ
Advisory Council, 2005-Present
President, Advisory Council 2012-2018
Assumption College of Sisters, Denville, NJ
Board of Directors, 2019
TID Scholarship Foundation, Morristown, NJ
- May 17, 2019 Timothy I. Duffy Honored at Tri-County Scholarship Fund's Annual Lawyers Awards Dinner
May 17, 2019
On Tuesday, May 14th, Founding Partner Tim Duffy was honored at the Tri-County Scholarship Fund's Annual Lawyers Dinner benefiting the Tri-County Scholarship...
- May 3, 2019 Coughlin Duffy Named as an Environmental Leader by CIANJ and COMMERCE Magazine
May 3, 2019
Coughlin Duffy LLP is honored to be selected as a finalist in the first annual Commerce and Industry Association of New...
- March 12, 2019 Coughlin Duffy Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Super Lawyers 2019 List
March 12, 2019
Coughlin Duffy LLP is pleased to share that eight of the Firm's attorneys have been selected to the 2019 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars list...
- August 9, 2018 NJDEP Ramps Up Claims for Natural Resource Damages
August 9, 2018
The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (“NJDEP”) appears to be taking a new aggressive approach against businesses and corporations...
- August 2, 2018 New Jersey Supreme Court Embraces Use Of Daubert Factors To Determine Admissibility Of Expert Opinion
August 2, 2018
On August 1, 2018, the New Jersey Supreme Court issued an important decision in Multi-County Litigation (“MCL”) cases involving the...
- June 12, 2018 Coughlin Duffy Wins Summary Judgment in a Products Liability Lawsuit in Federal Court
June 12, 2018
Coughlin Duffy was recently awarded summary judgment in favor of its client, Crown Equipment Corporation (“Crown”), in McManus v. Barnegat...
- November 6, 2017 NJDEP Proposes New Rules for Underground Storage Tanks
November 6, 2017
New amendments raise the question if the storage of materials in Underground Storage Tanks just got more costly in New...
- March 17, 2017 Hackensack River Expected to be Named Superfund Site
March 17, 2017
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (USEPA) investigation into the lower Hackensack River is continuing. Indeed, the USEPA is likely to...
- October 31, 2016 Irish Legal 100
October 31, 2016
Coughlin Duffy LLP and Kevin T. Coughlin, Esq. (Irish Legal 2015 inductee) warmly congratulate our distinguished Partner, Timothy I. Duffy,...
- March 14, 2015 Coughlin Duffy LLP is pleased to announce that 20 of its attorneys were selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers® and New Jersey Rising Stars®
March 14, 2015
New Jersey Super Lawyers® is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and...
- The New and Expanding Claims of Third-Party Payors Against Pharmaceutical Manufacturers
Traditionally, plaintiffs who bring suit against pharmaceutical companies in United States courts have been individuals, or classes of individuals, who...
- Recent Developments and Trends in Personal Jurisdiction Over Foreign Pharmaceutical Companies
Courts within the United States have failed to develop clear standards for subjecting foreign manufacturers to jurisdiction in the Unites...