Suzanne M. Whitehead
Associateswhitehead@coughlinduffy.com 88 Pine Street, 28th floor
Wall Street Plaza
New York, NY 10005
Direct (212) 612-4987
Fax (212) 480-3899
Wall Street Plaza
New York, NY 10005
Suzanne Whitehead is an Associate in the Firm's Insurance and Reinsurance Services group.
Suzanne concentrates her practice on the handling of complex insurance coverage matters principally on behalf of insurance companies. She has experience litigating coverage in both New York and Massachusetts state and federal courts. Suzanne’s practice focuses on a wide variety of coverage litigation, including commercial general liability, professional liability, directors and officers, and homeowners policies. Additionally, her practice involves advising insurers regarding pre-litigation coverage issues as well as early settlement opportunities. Suzanne has extensive experience with bad faith litigation and counseling. She also has experience with commercial disputes, including unfair business conduct, employment practices, contractual disputes, investment fraud, construction disputes, and Americans with Disabilities Act claims.
- Counseling clients and litigating matters related to insurance coverage for commercial general liability, employers professional liability, lawyers professional liability, and homeowners policies.
- Counseled and litigated on behalf of insurers concerning bad faith claims.
- Litigated declaratory judgment action concerning commercial general liability policy.
- Represented insurers regarding risk transfer issues arising out of construction projects.
- Boston University School of Law (J.D. 2009)
- Editor, Boston University International Law Journal
- Treasurer, Women's Law Association
- Providence College (B.A., summa cum laude, 2006)
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit (2012)
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts (2011)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York (2015)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (2015)
- State of New York (2015)
- State of Massachusetts (2009)
Suzanne Whitehead's Attorney Spotlight
Presenter, “Niche Practices: Cyber Insurance,” DRI’s Young Lawyers Seminar (June 2018)
Presenter, “The Top Ten Ways the Virtual World Rocks the Real World: Insurance Issues Arising Out of #Cyberinsurance and #PrivacyInsurance,” ABA’s Women in Insurance Conference (October 2013)
Publications and Presentations
Editor, “Covered Events,” May Issue, Defense Research Institute (DRI) (2019)
Regional Editor, “Duty to Defend Compendium 2016 Edition,” DRI (2016)
Co-Editor in Chief, "Bad Faith Compendium 2015 Edition," DRI (2015)
Author, "Disclosure from Defense Counsel May Yield Estoppel and Bad Faith Claims," The Voice, DRI Newsletter (2016)
Author, Cyber Liability Chapter, "Coverage B/Personal and Advertising Injury Compendium 2014 Edition," DRI (2014)
Author, “Engaging in Public Service: Helping Others with an Added Bonus of Enhancing Your Career and Professional Development,” The Whisper, DRI’s Young Lawyers Committee Newsletter (2013)
Author, "Thirteen Ways to Take Initiative in 2013," The Whisper, DRI Young Lawyers Committee Newsletter (2013)
Author, "Fine-Tuning What Constitutes a Professional Service under Liability Policies," Covered Events, DRI Insurance Law Committee Newsletter (2013)
Associate Editor in Chief, "Professional Liability Insurance Coverage: A Compendium of State Law," DRI (2012)
Author, "How Many Corners Does the Eight Corners Rule Have When Claims-Made Defenses Are at Issue?" Covered Events, DRI Insurance Law Committee Newsletter (2011)
Author, "Law School Initiative Subcommittee: This Summer, Think Twice Before Clicking on 'Confirm Friend Request' from an Associate or Partner,” The Whisper, DRI Young Lawyers Committee Newsletter (2011)
Chapter Editor, DRI Daubert Compendium 2011 Edition (2011)
Author "Current Trends in Student Loan Borrower Litigation: Borrower Must Pay Loan Debt," The Whisper, DRI Young Lawyers Committee Newsletter (2010)
Member, Defense Research Institute (DRI)
Steering Committee Member, DRI Insurance Law
Steering Committee Member, DRI Young Lawyers
Member, Armadillo Group
Board of Directors, Dave Young Children's Literature Foundation
- May 9, 2019 Coverage B Conundrum: Do the Facts Alleged or the Elements of Liability Control Courts’ Duty to Defend Analysis?
May 9, 2019
It is well-settled that, in Wisconsin, an insurer’s duty to defend arises whenever the factual allegations in the complaint raise...