Michael E. Hrinewski
Of Counselmhrinewski@coughlinduffy.com 350 Mount Kemble Avenue
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Direct (973) 631-6044
Fax (973) 267-6442
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Michael Hrinewski is Of Counsel in the Firm’s Insurance and Reinsurance Services Group.
Michael's practice focuses primarily on insurance coverage litigation and insurance counseling in matters ranging from large, complex litigation to discrete, focused disputes. Specifically, Michael has experience representing and advising domestic and international insurers in non-litigated and litigated matters in both state and federal courts involving general liability insurance, property, environmental, excess liability claims, professional liability, and directors and officers insurance.
In addition to formal litigation, Michael has experience in arbitration, mediation, and settlement negotiations, and has provided coverage advice to clients to assist them in avoiding disputes without the need for litigation. Michael has also worked directly with business owners and individuals to assist in litigation including personal injury, product liability, and construction litigation. Michael handles matters in the Appellate Courts of New Jersey and has successfully argued on numerous occasions before the New Jersey Appellate Division.
Most recently, Michael has been representing domestic insurers in a number of complex insurance coverage matters stemming from sexual molestation claims at schools and non-profit organizations. Michael previously was heavily involved with a team at Coughlin Duffy who were lead counsel for insurers in multiple insurance coverage disputes relating to contamination of Lower Passaic River, as well as successfully litigated a number of complex multi-jurisdictional coverage disputes related to data breach and cyber theft.
From 2008 to 2009, Michael was a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Ross R. Anzaldi, Presiding Judge, Civil Division, Union County.
- Patterson v. Huerta, 2016 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 2149 (App.Div. Sept. 28, 2016) (unpublished)
- Adams v. Travelers Ins. Co., 2016 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 1277 (App.Div. June 3, 2016) (unpublished)
- United States v. S. Jersey Clothing Co., 976 F. Supp. 2d 577 (D.N.J. Sept. 30, 2013)
- Air & Liquid Sys. Corp. v. Allianz Underwriters Ins. Co., 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 14235, Civil Action No. 11-247 (W.D.Pa., September 27, 2013)
- Marolda Farms, Inc. v. Md. Cas. Ins. Co., 2012 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 2609 (App.Div. Nov. 29, 2012) (Unpublished)
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., 2008)
- Rowan University (B.A., 2003)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (2019)
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (2010)
- State of New Jersey (2009)
Michael Hrinewski's Attorney Spotlight
Awards and Honors
New Jersey Rising Stars (2015 - 2019)
Member, American Bar Association
- March 13, 2020 Coughlin Duffy Attorneys Named to New Jersey 2020 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List
March 13, 2020
Coughlin Duffy LLP is pleased to share that ten of the Firm's attorneys have been selected to the 2020 Super...
- July 30, 2019 Third Circuit Rules No Duty to Defend School District Based on Prior Knowledge of Sexual Abuse of Students
July 30, 2019
On July 26, 2019, the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit held in favor of Coughlin Duffy’s...
- July 10, 2019 Summary Judgment Win on Multiple Grounds Under a Professional Liability Policy as to Novel Legal Issues
July 10, 2019
On June 26, 2019, New Jersey Superior Court Judge Mary Thurber granted summary judgment in favor of Coughlin Duffy’s client,...
- March 12, 2019 Coughlin Duffy Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Super Lawyers 2019 List
March 12, 2019
Coughlin Duffy LLP is pleased to share that eight of the Firm's attorneys have been selected to the 2019 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars list...
- March 14, 2015 Coughlin Duffy LLP is pleased to announce that 20 of its attorneys were selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers® and New Jersey Rising Stars®
March 14, 2015
New Jersey Super Lawyers® is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and...
- October 16, 2014 Knock Out Blows – Concussion and Sports-Related Injuries Litigation
October 16, 2014
A 9 September 2014 article in the New York Times declared that “head trauma has become the most serious —...
- November 19, 2013 New Decision Requiring Exhaustion of Underlying Insurance - Quellos Group LLC., v. Federal Insurance Company
November 19, 2013
On November 12, 2013, the Court of Appeals of the State of Washington, became the latest appellate court to find...
- October 3, 2013 Are You Really Exhausted? Negotiating Settlements for Less than Policy Limits - Recent Trends and Decisions
October 3, 2013
Issues relating to excess insurance are often at the forefront of twenty-first century insurance claims and/or underwriting disputes. In years...
- September 23, 2011 New Jersey Senate Introduces Bill No. 3036 Providing A Private Cause Of Action In The Settlement Of Insurance Claims
September 23, 2011
On Tuesday, September 19, 2011, New Jersey State Senator Nicholas Scutari introduced State Senate Bill No. 3036 (the “Bill”) which...
- July 19, 2011 New Jersey District Court Grants Summary Judgment To Insurers Holding That Policy Language Was Unambiguous And Insurer Had Valid Grounds To Delay Paying Plaintiffs Claim
July 19, 2011
On June 27, 2011, the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey granted summary judgment to The...
- July 13, 2010 New Jersey District Court Places Burden of Production on Insured and Grants Summary Judgment to Insurer on Bad Faith Claim Where There Was No Coverage Under The Policy
July 13, 2010
On June 21, 2010, the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey granted summary judgment to Continental...
- April 8, 2010 New Jersey Appellate Division Upholds $30.3 Million Verdict In Mesothelioma Asbestos-Exposure Case
April 8, 2010
On April 5, 2010, the New Jersey Appellate Division upheld the state’s largest mesothelioma asbestos-exposure award in the case of...