Joseph C. Amoroso
Of Counseljamoroso@coughlinduffy.com 350 Mount Kemble Avenue
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Direct (973) 631-6015
Fax (973) 267-6442
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Joseph Amoroso is Of Counsel in the Firm’s Commercial Services Group.
Mr. Amoroso is a highly accomplished litigation attorney with more than 15 years of experience in a wide variety of complex litigation matters representing businesses of all sizes, ranging from small businesses to Fortune 100 companies, in both single plaintiff cases and large class action and multidistrict lawsuits, at all levels of the state and federal courts, as well as through various alternate dispute resolution and administrative processes. Mr. Amoroso also acts as in-house counsel to various small and mid-sized corporations in a wide variety of industries. He concentrates his practice in the areas of product liability, insurance defense, employment litigation, environmental law, appellate practice and corporate defense.
From 2001 to 2002, Mr. Amoroso served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable James J. Petrella, Presiding Judge of the Appellate Division. From 2002 to 2004, Mr. Amoroso was associated with the law firm of McElroy, Deutsch & Mulvaney, LLP. He joined Coughlin Duffy LLP upon its inception in March 2004.
- Represented an international telecommunications client in multi-party $7 million complex litigation dispute, obtaining a successful resolution at trial.
- Represented a global Fortune 200 pharmaceutical company in multidistrict mass tort product liability class actions involving allegations that their drug, which is contained in its over-the-counter cold medicine, caused stroke.
- Represented an international Fortune 200 pharmaceutical company in a multidistrict class action litigation involving a cholesterol lowering drug alleged to have caused rhabdomyolysis.
- Litigated a multibillion-dollar antitrust dispute between multinational pharmaceutical companies in federal district court and before the Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully settled a multimillion-dollar commercial dispute on behalf of a Chinese chemical supplier and a large worldwide pharmaceutical company.
- Provided representation to a Fortune 50 pharmacy store chain in various negligence-related lawsuits, including prescription error and wrongful death cases.
- Partnered with team of attorneys that successfully appealed to the New Jersey Supreme Court on behalf of an insured to overturn the largest medical malpractice verdict in State history.
- Defended one of the largest liquid petroleum gas distributors in the United States in numerous types of matters venued in the New Jersey and New York courts, including cases involving consumer fraud and price fixing, as well as negligence and common law fraud.
- Achieved favorable results for clients in numerous Superfund and state law environmental lawsuits and allocation proceedings brought in New York and New Jersey.
- Obtained several dismissals of catastrophic injury actions in numerous state and federal lawsuits brought against a forklift manufacturer in New York and New Jersey, involving allegations of defective designs, inadequate warnings, or failure to meet appropriate standards of care.
- Acts as outside general counsel to various mid-sized corporations in a variety of industries.
- Seton Hall School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2001)
- Seton Hall University (B.A., cum laude, 1998)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (2015)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (2014)
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (2001)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (2005)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York (2005)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York (2019)
- State of New Jersey (2001)
- State of New York (2002)
Joe Amoroso's Attorney Spotlight
Publications and Presentations
Alert, "New Jersey Supreme Court Embraces Use Of Daubert Factors To Determine Admissibility Of Expert Opinion" (August 2018)
"In Hot Pursuit of NRD Claims," Environmental Claims Journal, 19(4):219-238 (2007) Co-Author
Member, Washington Township Environmental Commission
Board Member, St. Peters Preparatory School Alumni Association
Member, National Italian American Foundation
Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
Member, New York State Bar Association
Member, Defense Research Institute
- May 3, 2019 Coughlin Duffy Named as an Environmental Leader by CIANJ and COMMERCE Magazine
May 3, 2019
Coughlin Duffy LLP is honored to be selected as a finalist in the first annual Commerce and Industry Association of New...
- August 2, 2018 New Jersey Supreme Court Embraces Use Of Daubert Factors To Determine Admissibility Of Expert Opinion
August 2, 2018
On August 1, 2018, the New Jersey Supreme Court issued an important decision in Multi-County Litigation (“MCL”) cases involving the...
- June 12, 2018 Coughlin Duffy Wins Summary Judgment in a Products Liability Lawsuit in Federal Court
June 12, 2018
Coughlin Duffy was recently awarded summary judgment in favor of its client, Crown Equipment Corporation (“Crown”), in McManus v. Barnegat...