Suzanne C. Midlige
Managing Partnersmidlige@coughlinduffy.com 350 Mount Kemble Avenue
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Direct (973) 631-6006
Fax (973) 267-6442
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Suzanne Cocco Midlige is the Managing Partner and a founding member of Coughlin Duffy and a member of the Insurance and Reinsurance Services Group.
Prior to election to Managing Partner, Suzanne served as the Practice Group Leader for the Insurance and Reinsurance Services Group from 2004 to 2012. Suzanne’s practice focuses on the representation of domestic and international insurers and reinsurers in litigated and non-litigated matters.
- Seton Hall University (JD, 1991)
- Muhlenberg College (AB, 1984)
- State of New Jersey (1991)
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (1991)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (2001)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (2002)
- Regular representation of multi-national insurers in asbestos coverage disputes, including the area of asbestos bankruptcy litigation.
- Lead counsel for insurers in multiple insurance coverage disputes relating to contamination of Lower Passaic River.
- Lead counsel for insurers in multi-party coverage dispute involving herbicide.
- Representation of insurers and reinsurers in disputes relating to financial institutions and director & officer disputes.
- Lead counsel for insurer in claim against Directors & Officers of failed hospital.
- Acted for multinational reinsurers in a series of corporate malfeasance claims and failed tax strategy claims.
- Served as coordinating counsel for a multinational reinsurer in relation to subprime and credit exposures.
- Counsel to fifty multinational insurers in a complex insurance and antitrust dispute involving US and Australian asbestos claims.
- Monitoring counsel for insurers in relation to hormone replacement therapy (HRT) litigation.
- Monitoring counsel for insurers in relation to organic roofing shingle class action litigation in the United States and Canada.
- Counsel to insurer in international claim against Director & Officers of international bio-pharmaceutical company.
- Work closely with insurers and reinsurers in relation to the development and implementation of models to allocate losses across complex insurance programs, and in evaluating future loss projections and developing burn rate analyses.
- Representation of companies embroiled in commercial and antitrust disputes.
- October 13, 2016 Auto Expo - Focus on the U.S. Automotive Industry, Online Transportation Networks and Driverless Cars
October 13, 2016
- May 4, 2016 New York High Court Holds That All Sums Allocation Method And Vertical Exhaustion Applies
May 4, 2016
On May 3, 2016, New York’s highest court in In the Matter of Viking Pump Inc., and Warren Pumps, LLC,...
- October 15, 2015 Straight to the Top - D&O and Financial Lines, Trends and Decisions
October 15, 2015
- March 14, 2015 Coughlin Duffy LLP is pleased to announce that 20 of its attorneys were selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers® and New Jersey Rising Stars®
March 14, 2015
New Jersey Super Lawyers® is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and...
- November 26, 2014 Suzanne Midlige Elected to the American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel
November 26, 2014
Suzanne Midlige has been elected to the American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel. This new organization, incorporated in Delaware as...
- October 16, 2014 Emerging Claims – Liability and Insurance Issues in Crowdfunding, Drones, Ride Sharing, Self-Driving Cars, Bitcoin, Food Labeling and Other Upcoming Claim Sources
October 16, 2014
What will drive insurance claims in the near future? Self-driving cars and robotic drones were only concepts of the future...
- October 16, 2014 Knock Out Blows – Concussion and Sports-Related Injuries Litigation
October 16, 2014
A 9 September 2014 article in the New York Times declared that “head trauma has become the most serious —...
- June 6, 2014 Has the Second Circuit Mandated a Rubber Stamp Approval System for SEC Consent Decrees?
June 6, 2014
In a long awaited decision, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals has overruled United States District Court Judge Rakoff’s refusal...
- October 10, 2013 Pushed Beyond the Limits—Reactions to the U.S. Judiciary’s Expansion of Additional Insured Coverage
October 10, 2013
Additional insured requirements are among the most important and popular tools utilized by contracting parties as a means of allocating...
- October 3, 2013 Are You Really Exhausted? Negotiating Settlements for Less than Policy Limits - Recent Trends and Decisions
October 3, 2013
Issues relating to excess insurance are often at the forefront of twenty-first century insurance claims and/or underwriting disputes. In years...
- October 14, 2010 Developments and Trends in U.S. Securities and Class Action Litigation
October 14, 2010
Private securities actions have been a mainstay of the U.S. litigation landscape since the early 1930’s and class actions have...
- July 8, 2010 Florida Jury Awards Residential Homeowners $2.5 Million Against Domestic Supplier of Chinese Drywall
July 8, 2010
A Florida jury recently awarded residential homeowners nearly $ 2.5 million in damages stemming from the installation of defective Chinese-manufactured...
- June 30, 2010 U.S. Supreme Court Draws Bright Line on Application of Securities Exchange Act of 1934 to “Foreign Cubed” Transactions
June 30, 2010
In a decision likely to have wide-ranging implications in the area of securities fraud litigation, the United States Supreme Court...
- October 21, 2009 Plaintiffs Bar Likely Emboldened by the $105 Million Jury Award Entered Against Exxon Mobil Corporation in MTBE Water Contamination Litigation
October 21, 2009
On October 19, 2009, after an 11 week trial, a New York federal jury awarded $104.7 million in compensatory damages...
- October 19, 2009 A Changing of the Guard
October 19, 2009
The global economic crisis, together with the platform of “change” on which Barack Obama rose from first-term Senator to President...
- October 11, 2007 Cyber Liability: Understanding Technology Losses in an Age of E-Commerce
October 11, 2007
In today’s digital world, where electronic transactions are processed with lightning speed and where companies both large and small typically...
- October 10, 2007 Preservation and E-Discovery from a Litigation and Risk Management Perspective
October 10, 2007
The ubiquitous use of electronic media as a means of communications has had a powerful impact on all aspects of...
- November 6, 2006 The Increasing Significance of Aggregation in Complex Claims Litigation: The U.S. Perspective
November 6, 2006
Perhaps one of the most complex aspects of claims management involves determining if two or more claims should be considered...
- November 6, 2006 The Emerging Stock Options Backdating Scandal and Strategic Approach to Claims for Coverage
November 6, 2006
In recent months, another corporate scandal in American business has become the subject of increasing media scrutiny and investigations by...
- October 6, 2005 Increasing Use of Bad Faith and Extracontractual Claims in Multi-National Disputes
October 6, 2005
In disputes between policyholders and insurers, policyholders frequently include causes of action for bad faith and extracontractual claims. The utilization of...
Publications and Presentations
“Financial and Securities Litigation Update: Trending, Scandals and More,” Munich, Germany, 2012.
“Emerging Trends and Targets in U.S. Class Action Litigation,” Munich, Germany, 2012.
“Connecting the Dots: Insurance Coverage for Corporate Successors,”Munich, Germany, 2011.
“Hydraulic Fracturing: Tolerate, Regulate or Litigate?,” Munich, Germany, 2011.
“Developments and Trends in U.S. Securities and Class Action Litigation,” Munich, Germany, 2010.
“What’s Hot and What’s in Store in theWorld of Claims,” Munich, Germany, 2010.
“Navigating the Wave of Water Contamination Claims: Analysis of City of New York v. Amerada Hess Corp. and Its Implications for Other Water Contamination Claims,” Environmental Claims
Journal, 22: 1,17-26. (2010)
“Neue Welle von Produkthaftpflichtklagen wegen ‘Chinese Drywall ’ in den USA?,” PHi, Nr. 1/2010. (2010)
“Navigating a New Wave of Product Liability Claims,” Munich, Germany, (2009) C
“US Supreme Court and Democrat Lawmakers Breath New Life Into Product Liability Claims,” Financier Worldwide Magazine, June 2009.
“Implication of Aggregation in Insurance and Reinsurance Disputes,” June 2009.
“Consider Yourself Warned! Federal Preemption of State Prescription Drug Claims and its Potential Impact on Product Liability Claims and Insurance,” Munich, Germany, 2008.
“Subprime, Auction Rate Securities and Credit Crisis: Update & Emerging Issues,” New York, New York, 2008
“Auction Rate Securities Overview & Emerging Issues,” White Paper. July 2008
Awards and Honors
Selected for inclusion in Global Law Experts in 2017
Named as a leading attorney by the Guide to the World's Leading Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers in 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014.
Named a New Jersey Super Lawyer in 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Recognized as a leading lawyer in Who’s Who Legal: Insurance & Reinsurance in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Selected for inclusion in the Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law in 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2016.
Selected as a Leader Among Women and Minorities in New Jersey by the New Jersey Law Journal
Fellow in the American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel
Fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America
Member of the Association for Professional Insurance Women (APIW)
Member of Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
Member of ARIAS
Member of the New Jersey, International and American Bar Associations;Co-Chair of the London Subcommittee of the Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee of the Section of Litigation.
Founding member of the Coughlin Duffy's Women's Initiative Group