Shayne W. Spencer
Associatesspencer@coughlinduffy.com 350 Mount Kemble Avenue
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Direct (973) 631-6061
Fax (973) 267-6442
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Shayne W. Spencer is an Associate at the Firm. His practice concentrates in insurance coverage in federal and state courts in New Jersey, New York, and several other jurisdictions. He has significant experience with several different types of coverage, including commercial general liability, umbrella and excess, professional malpractice, directors and officers, and additional insured. Mr. Spencer provides a broad array of services to his clients, including providing coverage opinions and analyses, pre-trial and trial activities, and appeals.
Mr. Spencer often secures dismissal of coverage actions through compromise or motion, but is also prepared to go to trial. As part of a team of Coughlin Duffy attorneys, he helped secure a favorable result for our client after a four week trial over insurance coverage for a talc company that had been sued for asbestos-related injuries. He also has experience at the appellate level, and secured dismissal of an action based on late notice in the Supreme Court of New York, Appellate Division, Second Department.
Prior to joining Coughlin Duffy in October 2012, Mr. Spencer was associated with the law firm of Ford Marrin Esposito Witmeyer & Gleser, LLP, where he worked on a broad array of coverage disputes and civil litigation defense matters.
- The George Washington University Law School (J.D., 2005)
- Bucknell University (B.A., 2001)
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (2007)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York (2007)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (2007)
- State of New Jersey (2005)
- State of New York (2006)
- October 26, 2017 Connecticut Supreme Court to Review “Unavailability Exception” and Other Significant Asbestos-Related Coverage Issues
October 26, 2017
On October 18, 2017, the Connecticut Supreme Court granted petitions to review the “unavailability exception” and other significant asbestos coverage...
- June 5, 2017 District Court Holds No Coverage for School That Knew Teacher Was Abusing Students
June 5, 2017
On June 1, 2017, the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey granted summary judgment in favor...
- May 12, 2017 Actual-Injury Rule Dictates Multiple Occurrences in Minnesota for Sexual Abuse Claims
May 12, 2017
In a recent decision, Diocese of Duluth v. Liberty Mutual Group, ADV 16-5012 (Mar 30, 2017), the United States Bankruptcy...
- March 2, 2017 Connecticut Appellate Court Issues Wide-Ranging And Mixed Decision Regarding Asbestos Insurance Coverage
March 2, 2017
In a wide-ranging and detailed opinion spanning more than 200 pages, the Connecticut Appellate Court addressed a multitude of issues...
- April 2, 2014 Connecticut Case of First Impression Affirms Exhaustion Under Cost Share Agreement and Holds Insured Responsible for Gaps in Coverage and Insolvencies
April 2, 2014
Following a 14 day bench trial, on March 28, 2014, a Connecticut trial court issued a decision which significantly impacts...
- May 10, 2018 Emerging Issues in Insurance Coverage Seminar
Please join Coughlin Duffy at the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City, New Jersey as we host our seminar entitled, "Emerging...
Speaker, "Developments in Construction Defect Law,” Coughlin Duffy LLP’s Seminar on Emerging Issues in Insurance Coverage (May 10, 2018)
- Coughlin Duffy Trial Team Obtains Favorable Results
In an insurance coverage action arising from asbestos-related bodily injury actions, Coughlin Duffy attorneys secured favorable decisions, both on summary...