Sally A. Clements
Of Counselsclements@coughlinduffy.com 350 Mount Kemble Avenue
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Direct (973) 631-6058
Fax 973) 267-6442
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Sally Clements is Of Counsel to the firm and a member of the Insurance and Reinsurance Services Group.
Sally’s practice focuses on the representation of domestic and international insurers and reinsurers in litigated and non-litigated matters.
Sally served as judicial clerk to the Honorable Robert F. Mahon, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, for the 1992-1993 Term.
Sally draws on her Master in Business Administration degree and corporate background to provide sophisticated advice to the firm's clients in the resolution of complex coverage and business disputes.
- Villanova University (JD, 1992)
- Villanova University (Master of Business Administration, 1992)
- Journal Staff Member, Villanova University Environmental Law Journal (1990-1991)
- Boston University (BA, magna cum laude, 1988)
- State of New Jersey (1992)
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (1992)
- Sally has litigation experience as a coverage and defense litigator as well as corporate experience as a claims professional managing declaratory actions and major claims for Crum & Forster.
- Sally represents the interests of insurers and reinsurers in disputes relating to financial institutions, director & officer disputes, professional liability, asbestos and environmental claims. She has represented European insurers in oversight of securities actions and in asbestos coverage actions litigated in both the U.S. and England.
- Sally represented U.S. and European insurers in the resolution of litigated and non-litigated claims involving D&O policies, Bankers Professional Liability policies, Product Recall policies, Employment Benefits Liability coverage, underground storage tank policies and CGL policies for asbestos and environmental contamination claims.
- Sally has extensive experience modeling loss allocations, and preparing exposure analyses and projections of indemnity and defense costs for the firm’s U.S. and international insurer clients both in the context of litigation and in claims resolution.
- July 24, 2017 Upcoming New Jersey Choice of Law Decision for Long-Tail Claims
July 24, 2017
Insurance coverage disputes frequently implicate choice of law determinations where national distribution of manufactured products results in potential claims in...
- October 16, 2014 Emerging Claims – Liability and Insurance Issues in Crowdfunding, Drones, Ride Sharing, Self-Driving Cars, Bitcoin, Food Labeling and Other Upcoming Claim Sources
October 16, 2014
What will drive insurance claims in the near future? Self-driving cars and robotic drones were only concepts of the future...
- June 6, 2014 Has the Second Circuit Mandated a Rubber Stamp Approval System for SEC Consent Decrees?
June 6, 2014
In a long awaited decision, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals has overruled United States District Court Judge Rakoff’s refusal...
- October 10, 2013 Total Recall—Current Coverage Issues in Product Recall Claims
October 10, 2013
Products ranging from food items and pharmaceuticals to baby carriages, toys and television sets are routinely recalled by retailers and...
- June 26, 2013 Second Circuit Finds No Coverage for Trademark Infringement Suit Involving Distinctive Rear-Pocket Stitching on Jeans Sold by Insured to Wal-Mart
June 26, 2013
In a June 11, 2013 decision, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals refused to expand the definition of “slogan” as...
- October 13, 2011 Developments in Cyber Liability Claims: How Strong is Your Coverage Firewall?
October 13, 2011
Over the past decade, the world has become integrated and interconnected by the developments in technology and the ability to...
- June 21, 2011 U.S. Supreme Court Overturns the Largest Class Action Certification in the Wal-Mart Sex Bias Action
June 21, 2011
In the largest class action suit filed in U.S. history, the U.S. Supreme Court held in a June 20, 2011...
- June 15, 2011 New York Court Finds JPMorgan Chase Settlements Preclude $95 Million in Claimed Excess Insurance Coverage
June 15, 2011
In the latest opinion addressing the rights of excess insurers when an insured settles with an underlying insurer for less...
- October 14, 2010 Developments and Trends in U.S. Securities and Class Action Litigation
October 14, 2010
Private securities actions have been a mainstay of the U.S. litigation landscape since the early 1930’s and class actions have...
- June 30, 2010 U.S. Supreme Court Draws Bright Line on Application of Securities Exchange Act of 1934 to “Foreign Cubed” Transactions
June 30, 2010
In a decision likely to have wide-ranging implications in the area of securities fraud litigation, the United States Supreme Court...
- April 8, 2010 U.S. Supreme Court Broadens Availability of Class Actions in Federal Courts
April 8, 2010
On March 31, 2010, the Supreme Court of the United States broadened the scope of class actions that may be...
- November 6, 2006 The Increasing Significance of Aggregation in Complex Claims Litigation: The U.S. Perspective
November 6, 2006
Perhaps one of the most complex aspects of claims management involves determining if two or more claims should be considered...
Publications and Presentations
“Has the Second Circuit Mandated a Rubber Stamp Approval System for SEC Consent Decrees?” Coughlin Duffy LLP E-Alert: June 4, 2014. Co-authored with Suzanne Midlige
“Total Recall – Current Coverage Issues in Product Recall Claims,” Munich, Germany, 2013. Co-authored with Suzanne Midlige and Kevin T. Coughlin
“Financial and Securities Litigation Update: Trending, Scandals and More,” Munich, Germany, 2012. Co-authored with Suzanne Midlige
“Developments in Cyber Liability Claims: How Strong is Your Coverage Firewall?” Munich, Germany, 2011. Co-authored with Kevin T. Coughlin
“U.S. Supreme Court Overturns the Largest Class Action Certification in the Wal-Mart Sex Bias Action.” Coughlin Duffy LLP E-Alert: June 21, 2011. Co-authored with Kevin T. Coughlin
“New York Finds JPMorgan Chase Settlements Preclude $95 Million in Claimed Excess Insurance Coverage” Coughlin Duffy LLP E-Alert: June 15, 2011. Co-authored with Robert J. Kelly
“Developments and Trends in U.S. Securities and Class Action Litigation,” Munich, Germany, 2010. Co-authored with Suzanne Midlige
“Bailouts and Fallouts: One Year Later,” Munich, Germany, 2009, Co-authored with Kevin T. Coughlin and Suzanne Cocco Midlige.
“Implication of Aggregation in Insurance and Reinsurance Disputes,” June 2009. Presented with Suzanne Midlige
Awards and Honors
Sally serves as Legislative Alliance Coordinator and Executive Board Member for the Immaculate Conception School (Annandale) Home and School Association (2011-present)