Michelle D. McCarthy
Associatemmccarthy@coughlinduffy.com 350 Mount Kemble Avenue
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Direct (973) 631-6069
Fax (973) 267-6442
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Michelle McCarthy is an Associate of the firm’s Commercial Practice Group.
Michelle represents a diverse group of clients across a range of industries. Her practice includes commercial and environmental litigation, environmental regulatory matters and corporate transactions.
In Michelle’s environmental practice she counsels clients on matters related to the oversight of environmental investigations and remediation of contaminated industrial and commercial properties. Michelle represents clients in environmental litigation, penalty and enforcement matters and cost recovery actions, involving federal and state statutes and regulations, including CERCLA, RCRA, the New Jersey Spill Act and the New York Navigation Law.
Michelle also advises clients in a variety of areas including business disputes, contract disputes, employment issues, preparation, review and negotiation of commercial contracts including supply and vendor agreements, licensing agreements, and employment agreements.
During law school, Michelle was a law clerk at Hill & Kehne LLP, a Washington, DC law firm that represented clients in environmental and insurance matters. Michelle has participated in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Clinical Legal Education Honors Program in the Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. She also served as law clerk to the Solicitor of the U.S. Department of the Interior. Prior to joining Coughlin Duffy LLP in July 2014, Michelle was associated with Florio, Perrucci, Steinhardt & Fader LLC where she represented clients in litigation and liability defense matters.
- The George Washington University Law School (J.D. 2013)
- University of Central Florida (B.A. cum laude & B.S. magna cum laude, 2010)
- State of New Jersey (2013)
- State of New York (2014)
- United States District Court, District of New Jersey (2013)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York (2015)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (2015)
- March 17, 2017 Hackensack River Expected to be Named Superfund Site
March 17, 2017
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (USEPA) investigation into the lower Hackensack River is continuing. Indeed, the USEPA is likely to...
- December 7, 2016 Access Issues During Environmental Investigations/Remediation
December 7, 2016
Property access issues frequently arise in environmental matters. A client may be conducting an investigation on its property and detect...
- May 15, 2015 NJDEP Offers Guide to Obtaining Off-Site Access
May 15, 2015
The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (“NJDEP”) has unveiled an update to the agency’s Site Remediation Program online forms,...
- March 12, 2015 No End in Sight for Parties Subject to Contribution Claims
March 12, 2015
The New Jersey Supreme Court has unanimously held that private claims for contribution made pursuant to the New Jersey Spill...
- January 6, 2015 The Extent of Recoverable Damages for Migrating Contamination Remains Uncertain
January 6, 2015
Property owners suffering from migrating contamination from an adjacent property are often faced with a variety of damages in addition...
- August 6, 2014 The Wait is Over: A Party Can Now File a Contribution Claim Prior to the Completion of a Cleanup
August 6, 2014
One of the most valuable tools in a responsible party’s arsenal, a contribution claim, can now be used to take...
Publications and Presentations
“Pesticide Tolerances Under EPA Review,” ABA Pesticides, Chemical Regulation, and Right-to-Know Committee Newsletter, Vol. 13, No. 2 (Feb. 2012)
Member, American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources
Member, New Jersey State Bar Association, Environmental Law Section
Member, New York State Bar Association, Environmental Law Section
Member, New Jersey Women Lawyer’s Association