Heidi S. Minuskin
Partnerhminuskin@coughlinduffy.com 350 Mount Kemble Avenue
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Direct (973) 631-6026
Fax (973) 267-6442
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Heidi S. Minuskin is a Partner with the firm where she is a commercial attorney.
Heidi's practice concentrates in the areas of environmental law, commercial and real estate transactions. She counsels clients on the impact of environmental law on real estate and business transactions, helping them assess and address potential liabilities under federal and state environmental laws, and providing solutions to allow development and transactions to proceed. Her practice encompasses all aspects of environmental law, including Superfund Brownfields redevelopment, ISRA, due diligence, disclosure obligations, environmental insurance matters, site remediation, and regulatory compliance and permitting issues.
Heidi represents a broad range of clients, from Fortune 100 major corporations to individual clients, in environmental litigation, penalty and enforcement matters, and cost recovery actions, involving federal and state statutes and regulations including CERCLA, RCRA, and New Jersey’s Spill Act. She has negotiated significant Superfund, Spill Act and remediation settlements with various federal, state and local agencies. Heidi formerly served as Of Counsel to McElroy, Deutsch & Mulvaney, LLP. She joined the law firm of Coughlin Duffy LLP at its inception in March 2004.
- New York Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1986)
- Syracuse University (A.B., cum laude, 1983)
- State of New Jersey (1986)
- State of New York (1987)
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (1986)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York (2016)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (2016)
- Represented clients in Newark Bay Complex litigation and Lower Passaic River and Newark Bay Superfund matters
- Developed procedure for addressing environmental insurance claims and negotiated substantial settlements
- Negotiated significant federal Superfund and state law environmental Settlements
- Performed due diligence reviews of real property and major corporations and undertook emergent ISRA submissions to allow transactions to be consummated
- Aided numerous lending institutions in assessing environmental risks associated with various financing arrangements and developing risk assessment policies
- March 17, 2017 Hackensack River Expected to be Named Superfund Site
March 17, 2017
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (USEPA) investigation into the lower Hackensack River is continuing. Indeed, the USEPA is likely to...
- December 7, 2016 Access Issues During Environmental Investigations/Remediation
December 7, 2016
Property access issues frequently arise in environmental matters. A client may be conducting an investigation on its property and detect...
- September 23, 2015 Can a State Environmental Law Resurrect a CERCLA Contribution Claim?
September 23, 2015
State statutes designed to compel private parties to spend their money to cleanup contaminated sites typically mirror the federal Comprehensive...
- May 15, 2015 NJDEP Offers Guide to Obtaining Off-Site Access
May 15, 2015
The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (“NJDEP”) has unveiled an update to the agency’s Site Remediation Program online forms,...
- March 14, 2015 Coughlin Duffy LLP is pleased to announce that 20 of its attorneys were selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers® and New Jersey Rising Stars®
March 14, 2015
New Jersey Super Lawyers® is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and...
- March 12, 2015 No End in Sight for Parties Subject to Contribution Claims
March 12, 2015
The New Jersey Supreme Court has unanimously held that private claims for contribution made pursuant to the New Jersey Spill...
- January 6, 2015 The Extent of Recoverable Damages for Migrating Contamination Remains Uncertain
January 6, 2015
Property owners suffering from migrating contamination from an adjacent property are often faced with a variety of damages in addition...
- August 6, 2014 The Wait is Over: A Party Can Now File a Contribution Claim Prior to the Completion of a Cleanup
August 6, 2014
One of the most valuable tools in a responsible party’s arsenal, a contribution claim, can now be used to take...
- January 23, 2014 Remedial Investigation Deadline Extension Signed into Law
January 23, 2014
As advised in our January 17, 2014 E-Alert, a bill proposing to extend the deadline for completion of required environmental...
- January 17, 2014 Relief from the Remedial Investigation Deadline is in Sight
January 17, 2014
There is good news for parties with cleanup obligations and a May 7, 2014, deadline to complete their remedial investigation...
- May 13, 2009 New Site Remediation Reform Act Significantly Changes Remediation of Contaminated Sites in New Jersey
May 13, 2009
On May 7, 2009, New Jersey Governor John S. Corzine signed into law the Site Remediation Reform Act, also known...
Moderator, CIANJ, Real Property Roundtable, "New Life to Old Cities: Urban Redevelopment.," (June 10, 2016)
Moderator, CIANJ, Real Property Roundtable, "How will Valuations, Tax Changes & Rate Environment Impact you in 2016?," (January 29, 2016)
Lecturer, PIA (2014)
Lecturer, NJSCPA (2014)
Lecturer, NJSCPA (2008)
Lecturer, New Jersey Real Estate Commission (1989)
Lecturer, HazMat International (1989-1990)
Lecturer, Monmouth County Board of Realtors (1990)
Lecturer, Majess Lecture Series (1995)
Publications and Presentations
“ECRA Compliance,” Mathew Bender New Jersey Transaction Guide (1989) Co-Author
“Cleaning Your Neighbor’s Property,” New Jersey Law Journal (2002) Co-Author
"The Hidden Costs of a Home Purchase," Garden State Woman Magazine (Issue 47) Co-Author
"NRD Claims: What's Recoverable, What's Not?", NJPA Real Estate Journal (August 25, 2006)
"In Hot Pursuit of NRD Claims," Environmental Claims Journal, 19(4):219-238 (2007) Co-Author
"Keeping Your Neighbor in the Loop: Public Notice of Site Remediation" CIANJ Magazine (November, 2008) Co-Author
Awards and Honors
Selected for inclusion New Jersey Super Lawyers, Environmental, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Listed in Chambers USA Guide to America's Leading Law Firms, Environmental, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015
Selected as one of New Jersey’s Women Leaders in the Law, 2012
Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale Hubbell
Member, American Bar Association (Section on Natural Resources)
Member, New Jersey State Bar Association (Sections on Environmental, Corporate and Business Law)
Member, New York State Bar Association (Section on Environmental Law)
Member, Industrial/Commercial Real Estate Women of New Jersey (ICREW)
Member, Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW)
Member, Environmental Business Council of the Commerce and Industry Association of New Jersey (EBC)
Master, Justice Stewart G. Pollock Environmental Inn of Court
Chairperson, Real Property Council of the Commerce and Industry Association of NJ
Member, Chemical Council of New Jersey
Member, New Jersey License Site Remediation Professional Association
Committee Member, New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Near-Term Priorities Committee