Gabriel E. Darwick
Of Counselgdarwick@coughlinduffy.com 88 Pine Street, 28th floor
Wall Street Plaza
New York, NY 10005
Direct (212) 612-4999
Fax (212) 480-3899
Wall Street Plaza
New York, NY 10005
Gabriel Darwick is Of Counsel to the Firm and is a member of the Insurance and Reinsurance Services Group.
Gabe litigates complex coverage disputes and counsels insurers on issues arising from commercial general liability, excess and umbrella, professional liability, miscellaneous errors and omissions, environmental and business auto policies.
As part of his nationwide practice, Gabe has litigated long-tail claims, including issues of allocation and exhaustion, and has defended insurers against claims for extra-contractual damages in multiple jurisdictions. He has extensive experience litigating claims for additional insured coverage, as well as related issues such as priority of coverage. He also currently serves as monitoring and coverage counsel for various professional liability lines, including lawyers and accountants.
Before joining Coughlin Duffy LLP in October 2014, Gabe was an associate at Wade Clark Mulcahy, where he focused on commercial and coverage litigation and defended against a wide variety of civil litigation matters. His experience defending against commercial and civil litigation claims has provided him with a valuable perspective and enables him to better understand the dynamics of such claims and their impact on coverage.
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (J.D. 2009)
- University of Maryland, College Park (B.A. 2005)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York (2013)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (2010)
- State of New York (2010)
- June 6, 2017 New York Court of Appeals Narrowly Construes “Caused By” Language In Additional Insured Endorsement
June 6, 2017
In a highly anticipated decision, the New York Court of Appeals has held that the phrase “liability for ‘bodily injury’…...
- April 27, 2017 New York Court of Appeals Hears Argument Regarding “Caused By” Language
April 27, 2017
On April 26, 2017, the New York Court of Appeals heard oral argument in the Burlington Insurance Co. v. New...
- July 29, 2016 Does “Caused By” Mean “Arising Out Of”? New York Court of Appeals Likely to Decide
July 29, 2016
The Appellate Division, First Department of New York has repeatedly held that the phrase “caused by,” as used in an...
- February 17, 2016 Prejudice Not Required For New Jersey Late Notice Defense Under Claims-Made Policies
February 17, 2016
On February 11, 2016, the New Jersey Supreme Court held that an insurer is not obligated to establish prejudice when...
- May 13, 2015 New York Courts Continue To Erode Attorney-Client Privilege
May 13, 2015
Following on the heels of the First Department’s decision last Summer in National Union Fire Ins. Co. v. TransCanada Energy,...
- May 10, 2018 Emerging Issues in Insurance Coverage Seminar
Please join Coughlin Duffy at the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City, New Jersey as we host our seminar entitled, "Emerging...
Speaker, "The Strategic Use of Reservation of Rights Letters and an Insurer’s Duty to Defend Covered and Non-Covered Claims,” Coughlin Duffy LLP’s Seminar on Long Tail Allocation and the Strategic Use of Reservation of Rights Letters (May 31, 2018)
Speaker, "Additional insured coverage – life after Burlington,” Coughlin Duffy LLP’s Seminar on Emerging Issues in Insurance Coverage (May 10, 2018)
Awards and Honors
New York Metro Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2013 - 2018)
Member, American Bar Association